November 30, 2009

One thing I ate right this weekend


I dusted off an old idea: Cider Stew. My mom made this when I was younger, and it was delicious.

But instead of making it on the stovetop, I decided to do it in the Crock Pot. The result was just as delicious as I remember ... and fairly healthy, too. It was the one decent thing I ate all weekend! :D

I hope you like it as much as I do. Here's the recipe:
    1 cup onion
    2 cups carrot
    3 cups potato
    2 apples
    3/4 pound stew beef
    1 Tablespoon thyme
    2 cups apple cider
    salt, pepper to taste
Chop veggies and apple into smallish pieces of approximately the same size to ensure even cooking. Put all in a lined slow cooker. Stir to mix well. Put beef on top. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in cider.

Cook at least 8 hours, until beef is fall-apart tender.

Makes 6 servings of about 1 1/2 cups each.

On the nutritional front, it stacks up pretty well: 268 calories, 5.1 g fat (1.8 sat.), 36.8 g carb (5 g fiber, 17.4 sugars) and 19.5 g pro. That gives it a WW Points value of 5.

P.S. I'll try to add a picture later, after I heat some up for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment